The EdTech market is experiencing a digital revolution. With the evolvement of technology ways of learning are changing. Education has always been expensive for the majority of countries. A reason behind this can be called out to the lack of available resources, which encourage education industries to come across with new technology, applications and software.
Sudden pandemic of COVID-19 novel coronavirus had caused unprecedented disruption to businesses across the world. This unchartered business challenge brings significant changes to how employers train their staff and onboard new hires. During the pandemic, training departments were mostly focusing on the continuation operations.
Well, in our quest to find The 10 Best eLearning Apps in 2020, we came across Udemy which is one of the world’s largest online learning destination that helps individuals, businesses, and governments gain the skills they need to compete in today’s economy.
In an interview with Globe Outlook, Shelley Osborne, Vice President of Learning at Udemy, sheds light on the company’s success, innovative solutions and unique features.
About Udemy :
With a mission to improve lives through learning, Udemy is the world’s largest online learning destination that helps individuals, businesses, and governments gain the skills they need to compete in today’s economy. Thirty-five million students are mastering new skills from 57,000 expert instructors teaching over 130,000 online courses in topics from programming and data science to leadership and team building. For companies, Udemy for Business offers an employee training and development platform with subscription access to 7,000 courses, learning analytics, as well as the ability to host and distribute their own content. Udemy for Government is designed to upskill workers and prepare them for the jobs of tomorrow. Eighty percent of Fortune 100 companies trust Udemy for employee upskilling.
Key person aiding the success of the company :Shelley Osborne, Vice President of Learning at Udemy :
Shelley Osborne has over fifteen years of experience across the education, consulting, and corporate sectors. She is the Vice President of Learning at Udemy, where she leads the company’s learning strategy and continuous upskilling of employees globally. Before that, Shelley was the Vice President of Learning & Development at Farside HR Solutions, where she advised early- and late-stage companies on talent leadership, management training, and soft-skills development. Shelley is the author of the McGraw Hill book, The Upskilling Imperative: Five Ways to Make Learning Core to the Way We Work.
Udemy prominent features and Services offered :
Udemy is the largest global marketplace with content on thousands of topics. Whether our students want to get better at public speaking and practicing mindfulness or organizations and governments want to upskill their workforces with the latest tech skills, Udemy has more relevant and updated content than anyone else.
- Our instructors are expert practitioners who come to Udemy to share their knowledge with the world. Udemy’s marketplace model enables us to have the freshest content, including updated iOS and Android app development courses before their public release and topics like cryptocurrency before they become mainstream.
- Udemy offers a diverse set of learning solutions. While the Udemy marketplace is geared toward individual students, we also offer Udemy for Business to organizations that want to upskill their workforces and Udemy for Government to upskill civil servants.
- We built Udemy for how people want to learn wherever they are, on their own timeframe. With Udemy, individuals can take real-world ready courses that help them stay ahead and succeed in an ever-changing world. According to Deloitte, the half life of skills has decreased to only about 5 years. For a career lifespan of about 50 years, we will need to reinvent ourselves about 10 times. With that reality, individuals must acknowledge their responsibility in keeping their skill sets up to date.
- Students and organizations turn to Udemy again and again when they need to learn new skills for work and life. The flexibility of online learning means that people can learn when, where, and what they choose, at their own pace. We believe that meeting learners where they are is a critical factor for success in learning new skills.
Unique characteristics of Udemy :
We believe that not all teachers can be found in a classroom. As a result, we’ve uncovered exceptional talent and we have the largest network of instructors around the world. Our instructors are real-world experts who practice their craft every day and teach skills that can be applied right away.
Foresight about eLearning:
- As an online learning marketplace, we have had a front row seat into how people are interacting with online education during this time. Perhaps unsurprisingly, we’ve seen a significant surge in enrollments and consumption across both consumers and enterprises. These trends illustrate not only a need for learning, but a need for learning that’s accessible and flexible. It’s also clear that in order to be effective, education must be dynamic and meet individuals where they are, in their specific moment of need.
- While the surge of online learning has been accelerated globally by the COVID-19 pandemic, this is a fundamental shift that will be sustained over time. With greater numbers of people being exposed to online learning for the first time, we anticipate that many may continue to rely on learning this way in the future. We’re also confident that continuous learning — for upskilling or reskilling to find new employment or to increase job security — is table stakes for the modern world.
Inspiration behind the concept and Journey:
- The founder of Udemy, Eren Bali, grew up in a small Turkish village where he attended a one-room schoolhouse and had limited educational opportunities. That changed when his family got a computer. Fueled by dreams to compete internationally in chess and mathematics, Eren used the internet to access learning resources and connect with people all over the world. With the help of these communities, he earned a silver medal in the International Math Olympiad.
- After online learning changed his life, Eren set out to make quality education more accessible for everyone and improve lives through learning.
- Today, Udemy provides anyone in the world with the platform they need to create the future they want.
Links to reach Udemy :